CTNEAL Scholarships are funded through a percentage of tribal tax dollars and private donations. CTNEAL currently has 9 tribal scholarships that are awarded when funding is available.
Criteria for ALL tribal scholarships covers 5 points. The student ...
1. Must be enrolled in the Cherokee Tribe of Northeast Alabama for a minimum of three (3) years AND
a. Must be current in all applicable taxes and fees.
b. Must produce documentation of active participation in tribal/American Indian projects for the past year. Tribal projects could include presence at quarterly Council meetings, participation in youth retreat, participation in Cherokee or American Indian presentations within a school or community setting, etc. Documentation may include, but not be limited to, name/date/location of the event or project, photos of applicant participating in the event or project, letter of verification from a project supervisor or event coordinator, and/or paperwork reflecting participation in the development of, or preparation for, the project.
2. Must have a minimum GPA of 3.0.
3. Must be an Alabama resident or an out of state citizen in good standing of the Cherokee Tribe of Northeast Alabama.
4. Must attach proof of acceptance or current enrollment from the school you plan to attend (school must be located in the State of Alabama unless the courses needed are not offered in Alabama).
5. Must attach an essay (at least 250 words but not to exceed 500 words); the subject is posted on the application. This essay will be used only in case of a tie.
Tribal scholarships are:
1. The Chief Jim Pell Scholarship
2. The Fred Hosey III Scholarship (based on financial need)
3. The Nancy J Long Scholarship (based on participation in Indian activities)
4. The Papa Gene Story Scholarship (for postgraduate students)
5. The Rebecca Brannon Scholarship
6. The Whitaker Family Business Scholarship for undergraduate students
7. The Whitaker Family Business Scholarship for postgraduate students
8. The Whitaker Family Engineering Scholarship for undergraduate students
9. The Whitaker Family Engineering Scholarship for postgraduate students
Scholarship application forms are available from the tribal office after January 1 of each year. The Brannan & Pell Scholarships have only basic requirements as listed above (click below to print a copy). Other scholarships have specific criteria; call 205-914-2070 to determine if you are eligible for one of those.
When you’re thinking about taxes and your charitable donations, please consider giving to the CTNEAL Scholarship Fund.
Copyright © 2018 Cherokee Tribe of Northeast Alabama - All Rights Reserved.